- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 egg yolks, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 to 3 teaspoons cold water
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled tart apple
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons water, divided
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Stir in 1 egg yolk and vinegar. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, brown beef in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. In the same skillet, saute the potato, onion and apple in butter for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Add the bouillon, seasonings, beef and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 7-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Fill with beef mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat remaining egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 3 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Bavarian Beef Pie
Sort By :
A very tasty recipe that reminded me of the quaint restruant I visited regularly when I was stationed in Germany in 1977-78.