I've had this recipe for quite a number of years. I won second place with it in a cooking contest sponsored by our local newspaper.
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dill seed, caraway seeds, paprika and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, warmed
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add the beef broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until beef is tender; reduce heat.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add sour cream and heat through (do not boil). Serve over rice with sauerkraut on the side. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Bavarian Beef Dinner in Country February/March 1997, p49
Reviews for Bavarian Beef Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review