"Whether I'm fixing cod fillets or my husband's catch of the day, this batter makes the fish fry up golden and crispy," says Nancy Johnson, field editor from Connersville, Indiana. "Club soda gives it a different twist...and the sweet and zippy sauce complements the fish nicely."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound cod
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper and paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup club soda
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Rinse fillets in cold water; pat dry. Place flour in a large
- resealable plastic bag; add fish one piece at a time. Seal bag; toss
- to coat. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch, seasonings and
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1 in. of oil. Dip floured fillets into
- batter; fry over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until
- the fish flakes easily with a fork. Combine marmalade and
- horseradish; serve with fish. Yield: 2 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.