Basque Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- 2 cups navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. In Dutch oven, slowly bring chicken and water to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 2. Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add the leeks, carrots, turnip, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to the Dutch oven. Add the sausage, beans and cabbage. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 288 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 914mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Basque Vegetable Soup
"This soup sounds very good but I have a question. Are the beans already cooked? It doesn't seem like they would cook in 30 min."
"I give this 5 stars although I did change it up a bit. I used about 5 cups of beef stock and 4 cups of water, left out the leeks and chicken, and used the Bar S polish sausages. It made it a lot faster, and it tasted really good. Even my kids loved it."
"Nice twist on sausage and beans! Full of vegetable goodness as well!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.