- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- 2 cups navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- In Dutch oven, slowly bring chicken and water to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add the leeks, carrots, turnip, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to the Dutch oven. Add the sausage, beans and cabbage. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Basque Vegetable Soup
"Kind of cool today. Making the soup to take to my sons house tomorrow. My house smells divine. Did not change a thing. Oh and soup tastes awesome. This is a keeper."
"This soup sounds very good but I have a question. Are the beans already cooked? It doesn't seem like they would cook in 30 min."
"I adore this soup! I change it up by using pre-made broth and chicken (roasted or slow cooked) and will add turnips when in season at my local store. It is such a hardy and delicious soup. I may be the only one that adores the soup as much in my house but I will make it over and over again."
"I give this 5 stars although I did change it up a bit. I used about 5 cups of beef stock and 4 cups of water, left out the leeks and chicken, and used the Bar S polish sausages. It made it a lot faster, and it tasted really good. Even my kids loved it."
"Nice twist on sausage and beans! Full of vegetable goodness as well!"