Never made an herb vinegar? It's easy! Our Test Kitchen came up with a super simple recipe with just three ingredients (Plus a couple of recipe below for using it). If your family prefers tarragon instead of basil, just substitute it in the same amount called for in the recipe.
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, crushed
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- Basil sprigs, optional
- Place crushed basil leaves in a sterilized pint jar. Heat vinegar
- just until simmering; pour over basil. Cool to room temperature.
- Cover and let stand in a cool dark place for 24 hours; strain and
- discard basil.
- Pour into a sterilized jar or decorative bottle. Add a basil sprig if
- desired. Store in a cool dark place. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 tablespoon) equals 0 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.