Basil Tomato Tart Recipe
I received this recipe from a good friend of mine. It is a great way to us up fresh tomatoes from the garden. It reminds me a lot of pizza.—Connie Stumpf, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- Pastry for a single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 5 to 6 fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Roll pastry to fit a 9-in. tart pan or pie plate; place in pan. Do not prick. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8 minutes more. Remove from the oven. Reduce heat to 375°. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella over the hot crust.
- 3. Cut each tomato into eight wedges; remove seeds. Arrange over cheese.
- 4. In a food processor, process the basil and garlic until coarsely chopped; sprinkle over tomatoes.
- 5. Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, pepper and the remaining mozzarella; spoon over basil. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC