Basil Tomato Soup with Orzo Recipe
The soup is so scrumptious that it is worth the time it takes to cut up the fresh basil. I believe it is even better the next day, after the flavors have and a chance to blend in the refrigerator overnight.—Tonia Billbe, Elmira, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions; drain. Add orzo and cream to soup; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 16 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 204 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC