Basil Tomato Soup for 2 Recipe
Fresh basil perks up the flavor in this creamy from-scratch tomato soup. “My aunt gave me this recipe years ago, and it’s been one of my favorites ever since,” says Sarah Travis of Edina, Minnesota.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer to a blender; add basil. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; stir in broth and heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup equals 141 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 673 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC