Basil Tomato Soup
Fresh basil perks up the flavor in this creamy from-scratch tomato soup. “My aunt gave me this recipe years ago, and it’s been one of my favorites ever since,” says Sarah Travis of Edina, Minnesota.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and carrot in butter until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and
- cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; add basil. Cover and process until smooth.
- Return to the pan; stir in broth and heat through.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 141 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 673 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.