Basil Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 18 to 20 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Basil Tomato Soup(18)
Sort By :
Can this be frozen after preparing? Sounds delicious!
This is a fantastic tomato soup as is! We use 1 can crushed tomatoes and 1 can diced tomatoes. After a bit of experimentation, we add a bit of baking soda (less than 1/8 tsp) to cut the acidity and cut the butter in half. Canned milk is a good alternative to whipping cream, too.
Can you use fresh garden tomatoes in place of the canned?
I sauteed 1 minced garlic clove and 1 tsp dried basil in 1 tbsp of olive oil, before following the rest of the recipe. It added a deeper taste.
We had this for a Christmas dinner course, and it was loved by all.
I made this exactly as the recipe states and it's rather bland so I started adding cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt. Much better!!