Basil Tomato Rice Recipe
“Whenever my family wants something different to go with our grilled beef—or other entrees, I throw together this easy side. It’s so fresh-tasting, and I always have the ingredients on hand.” Sarah Rupe - Eldon, Iowa
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, basil and salt; heat through. Stir into rice. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 154 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC