Basil Tomato Juice
Put some zing in your next brunch buffet with this homemade tomato juice. Fresh basil and hot pepper sauce accent the garden-fresh tomato flavor. You can put it in containers and freeze it, if you wish. —Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
13 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min. + chilling
- 8 pounds ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a stock pot, combine the tomatoes, celery and onion. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until
- tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly; put tomato mixture through a sieve or food mill.
- Return to the pan. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Remove from the heat; cool. Transfer to a pitcher; cover and
- refrigerate until chilled. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 66 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable.