Basil Tomato Bread Recipe
This bread is best served with a bowl of soup or spaghetti and sauce. It will disappear so quickly you will want to make 2 loaves.—Linda Nealley, Newburgh, Maine
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, basil and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese and tomatoes.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 178 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC