This bread is best served with a bowl of soup or spaghetti and sauce. It will disappear so quickly you will want to make 2 loaves.—Linda Nealley, Newburgh, Maine
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, basil and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese and tomatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Basil Tomato Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p126
Reviews for Basil Tomato Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2012
"Made the receipe as written, except I baked into mini bread pans. Will make it again, but experiment with other cheeses!"