Basil Tomato Bread Recipe
This bread is best served with a bowl of soup or spaghetti and sauce. It will disappear so quickly you will want to make 2 loaves.Linda Nealley, Newburgh, Maine
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, basil and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese and tomatoes.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Basil Tomato Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p126
Reviews for Basil Tomato Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2012
Made the receipe as written, except I baked into mini bread pans. Will make it again, but experiment with other cheeses!
More Recipe Collections
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >