Basil Spaghetti Sauce
My homemade sauce is packed with fresh tomatoes and assorted seasonings. Folks who sample it never seem to miss the meat.—Marlane Jones, Allentown, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and
- garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt,
- pepper and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 1-1/2 hours. Yield: about 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 128 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.