- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Yield: about 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Basil Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
I used 1 can of fire-roasted & 1 can of regular diced tomatoes and cooked it the entire time uncovered. Very chunky which is how we like it and it was delicious. It was so easy. This will be my new favorite sauce recipe.
I seeded the tomatoes and I'm glad I did. After cooking for an hour and a half it was very watery so I blended some of it and I took the lid off and let it cook down for another 90 minutes. I added oregano in it too to give it more flavor. It was very delicious! Next time I'll blend 1/2 of the tomatoes and cook it with the lid off to begin with.
This turned out delicious and very fresh-tasting. The seasonings are wonderful. I did blend half the tomatoes, since my kids aren't fond of tomato chunks, and I think it made it a little watery- I had to cook it without the lid for an hr or 2 to get it to reduce. I also used 1/4 tsp onion powder for the onion, so I only needed about a TB of oil to cook the garlic.
More Recipe Collections
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >