My interest in cooking started when I was 10 years old. I like to experiment with recipes and give old standbys a new twist. In this traditional dish, I added fresh basil with delicious results.Robert Foust, Indianapolis, Indiana
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine flour, basil and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in eggs and
- cold water; mix until dough is smooth. In a large kettle, bring
- water and remaining salt to a boil; reduce heat. With a rubber
- spatula, press dough through a colander into simmering water. Simmer
- for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently so spaetzle do not stick together.
- Drain; toss with butter. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 233 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 946 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.