- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in basil.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the eggplant, onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, olives, oregano, pepper and remaining salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut polenta into four squares. In another large skillet, cook polenta in remaining oil in batches for 7-8 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with ratatouille; garnish with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Basil Polenta with Ratatouille
"This was just okay for us. It tasted fine, but it was a lot of effort, and I don't think it's the best ratatouille we've ever had. We enjoyed it just fine, but I doubt we'll make it again."
"Took 2 hous to make. A waste of time and ingredients. Edible, but not good. Will not make again."
"I used a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes-which was the only modification I made. This dish was very flavorful. The olives overpower the basil flavor of the polenta, but my hubby and I like olives, so that was ok. All in all, a great dish that we would make again!"
"I roasted the veggies (vs. saute) and also added tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with their juice to create a sauce (personal preferences). So flavorful!!!"