Basil Polenta with Beans 'n' Peppers Recipe
Basil livens up polenta and beans in this colorful, meatless supper from Kimberly Hammond, Kingwood, Texas. Add a salad and fresh fruit to complete the nice, light meal.
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually add cornmeal, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in basil. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Transfer to an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, pepper and remaining salt; keep warm.
- 3. Cut polenta into four squares; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes. Turn and broil 5-6 minutes longer or until heated through. Top with vegetable mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1 polenta square with 1 cup vegetables equals 276 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Basil Polenta with Beans 'n' Peppers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC