Basil Pasta Sauce
Nothing beats the aroma of this speedy simmered pasta sauce...except its wonderful taste. To round out the meal, toss together a green salad and pop some garlic bread in the oven as shown in the photo at right. Or, steam asparagus for a swift side dish and pick up a chocolate cream pie from the supermarket.Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, undrained
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Hot cooked fettuccine or pasta of your choice
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onions in oil. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, wine, basil and salt. Bring
- to a boil; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage and
- tomato paste; heat through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 272 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,380 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as