Basil Onion Cream Soup
My father-in-law introduced me to this soup. It's simple to make, yet it looks so elegant when served in a shallow soup bowl with a side of crusty bread. It dresses up any meal, and it's always my first choice when I am making a special dinner for friends or family. —Melissa Koehler, Wausau, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter and oil. Stir in flour
- until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and basil. Season
- with salt and pepper. Heat through. Yield: 6 servings.