Basil Garden Salad
Basil is one of the easiest herbs to grow and adds flavor to many foods. In summer, I like to use it fresh in tossed salads like this.Bobbie Talbott, Veneta, Oregon
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 cup torn Bibb lettuce
- 3 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and diced
- 6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 9 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, onions, tomato, mushrooms
- and basil. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar,
- oil, pepper and salt and sugar if desired. Cover; shake well. Pour
- over the salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt and sugar) equals 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 vegetable; also, 78 calories, 6 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 3 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 7 gm fat.