Basil Dinner Rolls Recipe
People's taste buds are thrilled with the "surprise" inside each of these rollsbasil, Parmesan cheese and walnuts.Mary Kay Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; knead several times. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine basil, walnuts and cheese; reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
- Shape dough into 32 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-in. circle; place 16 rolls each, seam side down, on two greased baking sheets with rolls touching. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with reserved basil mixture. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 32 rolls.
Originally published as Basil Dinner Rolls in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p41
Reviews for Basil Dinner Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review