My family likes basil, and this dish is our favorite. The basil flavor complements the rich, creamy sauce.—Billie Vaughan, Slinger, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Hot cooked fettuccine
- In a skillet, saute the chicken, onions and mushrooms in oil until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Stir in basil and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken mixture. Serve over fettuccine. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Basil Cream Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Basil Cream Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review