- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and condensed soup until blended. Stir in vegetables, bread crumbs, basil, salt and onion. Transfer mixture to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Basil Corn & Tomato Bake
"It was okay but not something I would make again."
"Not as good as it looks"
"I thought this was very good. I took it to a potluck for local farmers and received many compliments. My family loved it as well. It was simple, yet delicious and filling."
"I served this side dish for my church choir and women's circle...many compliments and requests for the recipe.."
"I always like this combination of vegetables. Maybe because I used frozen corn, this turned out a lot runnier than some similar recipes I have used."
"I thought it was a nice presentation but not exciting flavor-wise."
"I have to say, I never had anything quite like this before. It was original and good. I really liked the kick the basil gave it."
"This recipe is a great side dish to serve with almost any meal. I substituted the cream of celery soup for cream of mushroom and it turned out great. I also added a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat."