- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) Italian-blend salad greens
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped fennel fronds, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add 1/2 cup salad dressing; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Arrange salad greens and fennel slices on a serving platter; drizzle with remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place 1 tablespoon of basil on each piece of chicken; top with tomatoes. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string. In a shallow bowl, beat egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil on all sides for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Slice and arrange over greens. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters White Blend CA, a crisp flavorful wine with hints of citrus. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $69.99. Order Now
Reviews for Basil Chicken over Greens
Sort By :
Delicious chicken! I made this with the Fennel Breadsticks on the same page.