Tender and chewy, these bread sticks always go fast. “My daughters, Jence, Karly and Kourtney, could eat every last one,” notes Melinda Rhoads of Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 10 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, wheat germ, yeast, warm water, 1 tablespoon oil, honey and salt; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 5-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Pat dough into pan. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic and remaining oil; brush over bread. Sprinkle with cheeses, parsley and basil. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into strips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Basil-Cheese Bread Strips in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p47
Reviews for Basil-Cheese Bread Strips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review