Chopped fresh basil leaves add a welcome spark to these hamburgers and wonderfully capture the taste of summer. Grilling brings out the best flavors in the ground beef as well as the basil. They're a pleasant surprise at a family cookout.Jennie Wilburn, Long Creek, Oregon
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the basil, onion, bread crumbs, wine and
- garlic salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into
- eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or
- until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top
- with cheese if desired. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 314 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 571 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.