Basil Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Additional fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine tomatoes and water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise and tomatoes; cover and process until blended. Chill until serving.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 thin patties. Place 2 tablespoons cheese on six patties; top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- 3. On a greased grill, cook burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with mayonnaise mixture and, if desired, additional basil. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 368 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Basil Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
"The basil gives these burgers a nice summery flavor. The sun-dried tomato mayo was a hit with my family. I prepped the mayo and the burgers the night before so I only had to throw them on the grill for a delicious weeknight dinner. I melted the cheese on top instead of stuffing the burgers."
"My family loved this recipe! It's a keeper! Very flavorful and the hamburgers don't fall apart"
"These burgers are outstanding! My husband and I really enjoyed them and I will definitely be making them often!"
"So good!! My 5yo ate an entire burger herself!"
"delicious burger mayo was good made a great combination."
"I made this tonight and it's so good that I'll make again. I used fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried tomatoes and still its good and used tomato paste too. And I used fresh basil instead of dried. Jennifer m brown from Sioux falls,SD"
"even my kids loved them!!"
"This is a superb recipe. I melted the mozzarella on top instead of putting it in the burger."
"This was a delicious recipe and super-easy to make. It's a great change from a regular burger."
"Very hearty. The family loved it."
"This is the perfect burger for me!"
"Making this for a second time tonight. Great flavor and healthier than many other burger recipes. I use baby spinach to top my burger, instead of additional basil leaves."
"Very good....ESPECIALLY the dressing!!"
"Made these for Father's Day. Everyone loved them. The tomato mayonnaise was a big hit."
"@musthavemuzk,Not everyone has sodium restrictions placed on them. Overall, this is a healthy meal."
"i haven't made this and well i am not sure i will as it is written. recently i have been put on a 1500mg sodium intake and well with this being 800+ i just cannot justify having it as this alone would be half my daily allowed intake....so i ask how is this healthy?"
"EXCELLENT! Next time I'll chop basil more finely.I had sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil but it was very good anyways."
"Loved it! I added extra basil to the mayo/tomato mixture!"
"I used 1 pound of hamburger and some basil from my garden. I made 3 burgers. Unfortunately, I forgot the sun-dried tomato mayonnaise in the fridge until after dinner but there was so much flavor I didn't miss it. Will definitely make again."
"This burger was quick and easy to put together and was loaded with flavor. Definitely a redo!"
"This burger was delicious! My husband, who puts ketchup on EVERYTHING, (especially bugers) didn't even ask for it tonight! That speaks volumes to the taste of this burger. It was packed with flavor even without the sundried tomato spread on top! This will be our new burger recipe!"
"Liked by 4 of my 5 children!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.