Basil Bean Salad
I had a recipe for three-bean salad and added garbanzo beans for taste and color. It soon became my father and father-in-law's favorite - that made me happy since "the moms" are excellent cooks. Now for picnics, I'm asked to "bring the beans".
-Ruth Ann Ramuscak, Merrillville, Indiana
10-12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine beans, green pepper and onion. In a small
- bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, basil, mustard and salt. Pour
- over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill for several hours or
- overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 192 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.