I had a recipe for three-bean salad and added garbanzo beans for taste and color. It soon became my father and father-in-law's favorite - that made me happy since "the moms" are excellent cooks. Now for picnics, I'm asked to "bring the beans". -Ruth Ann Ramuscak, Merrillville, Indiana
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine beans, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, basil, mustard and salt. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill for several hours or overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Basil Bean Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p37
Reviews for Basil Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 18, 2013
"kids liked it"
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2011
"have been using this recipe for years - I love it!"
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2007
"You can combine the sugar,vinegar,oil,salt,pepper and seasonings in a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove and cool slightly , then pour over bean mixture."