I had a recipe for three-bean salad and added garbanzo beans for taste and color. It soon became my father and father-in-law's favorite - that made me happy since "the moms" are excellent cooks. Now for picnics, I'm asked to "bring the beans". -Ruth Ann Ramuscak, Merrillville, Indiana
Recommended: 57 Recipes with Fresh Herbs
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine beans, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, basil, mustard and salt. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill for several hours or overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Basil Bean Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p37
Reviews for Basil Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 18, 2013
"kids liked it"
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2011
"have been using this recipe for years - I love it!"
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2007
"You can combine the sugar,vinegar,oil,salt,pepper and seasonings in a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove and cool slightly , then pour over bean mixture."