Basil Baked Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a small skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Cut tomatoes in half widthwise. Place cut side up in an 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with basil and pepper; top with bread crumb mixture. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are slightly softened. Yield: 4 servings.
1 tomato half equals 65 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Basil Baked Tomatoes
"I found this recipe in my 2012 TOH Annual Recipes and so decided to prepare them. Our neighbor gave me 11 tomatoes from their garden and this was a great time to prepare this recipe! I did adjust this recipe to suit my tastes. I used 8 of the tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 1/2 cup Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs, 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped & 1/4 tsp. ground pepper. I sauteed garlic in the olive oil in a small skillet until lightly browned, THEN added the bread crumbs and stirred in the chopped basil and the pepper. I cut the 8 tomatoes in half and placed cut-side up in a 9" square casserole dish, lightly greased. I then topped each tomato half with the crumb mixture. I added about 1/2 cup water in bottom of dish and I baked the tomatoes at 325o F. for 20 minutes. I shared 6 halves with our neighbor who gave me the tomatoes and I sampled the others-they're delicious! Thank you for this recipe! DELowenstein"
"The fresh basil just elevates this dish to something special. The guys who I shared this with didn't appreciate so much tomato, so maybe I could slice the tomatoes into 1" slices? I used dried whole wheat bread crumbs."
"I think I'll try using 1/4 cup of bread crumbs next time instead of 1/2 a cup, but other than that this is a great recipe! It's the perfect side-dish for a formal meal!"
"Cooking the bread crumbs with the garlic and olive oil really kicks up the flavor. Very delicious!"