Basic White Sauce
For years, Lois Gelzer of Standish, Maine has used this smooth sauce to make many dishes, including the two shared here. "The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled," she says.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the
- flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Use
- immediately or refrigerate. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 51 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.