Basic White Layer Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups frosting of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread evenly into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Basic White Layer Cake(5)
Sort By :
This is a delicious and easy basic white cake recipe. I make it every year with chocolate buttercream frosting for my sweetie.
Bake it right. Yes. I had the same issue but seeing as it is a layer cake, that's probably the point.
I know that this cake was suppost to be in 2- 9" pans but, I made this recipe in a 9 x 13 cake pan and thought it would look like a regular cake but the finished result was about 1" high. It rose in the oven, then went down when cooled. Did anyone else have this problem? Does this cake really work in a 9 x 13 pan?
Very moist and delicious. I made the recipe 1-1/2 times and made a 3 layer cake. The layers came out very even and the frosted cake looked very pretty.
so moist. yum.
I added a little almond flavor. I will also cut the sugar a little next time as it was almost too sweet when iced, but still so good.