Basic Turkey Soup Recipe
- TURKEY BROTH:
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-14 pound turkey)
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 celery rib with leaves
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- TURKEY VEGETABLE SOUP:
- 8 cups turkey broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh green beans
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1. Place all broth ingredients in a large stockpot; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes. Strain broth; discard bones and vegetables. Cool; skim fat. Use immediately for turkey vegetable soup, or refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
- 2. For soup, combine broth, bouillon, pepper and vegetables in a large stockpot. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 136 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1024mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Basic Turkey Soup
"Great recipe. Easy to make and great on a cold day. I look forward to this soup every time I make a turkey; for me, it's the reward for all the work on the stuffing and sides. I always add noodles, about the same amount of meat and less vegetables."
"I really enjoyed this simple turkey soup. The broth is rich and easy to make. I added edamame to the list of vegetables."
"I had family after Thanksgiving and they just raved about this tirkey soup"
"This is THE best recipe for turkey soup I have ever made or tasted. I have used the carcass of a turkey & also the carcass of just a turkey breast. Great recipe."