Basic Turkey Soup Recipe
Katie Koziolek of Hartland, Minnesota notes, "I simmer a rich broth using the turkey carcass, then add favorite vegetables and sometimes noodles."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + cooling Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- TURKEY BROTH:
- 1 leftover turkey carcass
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 celery rib with leaves
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 carrot
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- TURKEY VEGETABLE SOUP:
- 8 cups turkey broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sliced carrots, celery, green beans and/or other vegetables
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1. Place all broth ingredients in a large stockpot; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 25 minutes. Strain broth; discard bones and vegetables. Cool; skim fat. Use immediately for turkey vegetable soup or refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
- 2. For soup, combine the broth, bouillon, pepper, vegetables and onion in a large stockpot. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add turkey and heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 136 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,024 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC