Basic Turkey Soup Recipe
- TURKEY BROTH:
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-14 pound turkey)
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 celery rib with leaves
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- TURKEY VEGETABLE SOUP:
- 8 cups turkey broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh green beans
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1. Place all broth ingredients in a large stockpot; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes. Strain broth; discard bones and vegetables. Cool; skim fat. Use immediately for turkey vegetable soup, or refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
- 2. For soup, combine broth, bouillon, pepper and vegetables in a large stockpot. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Add turkey; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 136 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1024mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein .
Reviews for Basic Turkey Soup
"Great recipe. Easy to make and great on a cold day. I look forward to this soup every time I make a turkey; for me, it's the reward for all the work on the stuffing and sides. I always add noodles, about the same amount of meat and less vegetables."
"I really enjoyed this simple turkey soup. The broth is rich and easy to make. I added edamame to the list of vegetables."
"I had family after Thanksgiving and they just raved about this tirkey soup"
"This is THE best recipe for turkey soup I have ever made or tasted. I have used the carcass of a turkey & also the carcass of just a turkey breast. Great recipe."