Basic Roast Beef Recipe
Nothing is better for Sunday dinner then a beef roast. This recipe is so tasty and goes well with any side dish.—Virginia Vail, Lake Monroe, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast ( about 3-1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1. Place beef, fat side up, on rack in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper; top with onion slices. Add enough water to pan to cover the bottom. Bake at 350° for 3-1/2 hours or until tender. For gravy, mix flour with water; stir into pan drippings, cooking over medium heat until gravy has thickened.
- 2. First Day: Pot Roast. Place peeled carrots and halved peeled potatoes in with the roast during the last 1-1/2 hours of cooking.
- 3. Second Day: Sweet-and-Sour Beef. Heat chunks of leftover beef in sweet-and-sour sauce and serve over cooked noodles. To make sauce, saute 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/4 cup chopped onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Stir until slightly thickened.
- 4. Third Day: Beef Stew. Heat gravy and chunks of beef in a pan, along with leftover potatoes and carrots.
- 5. Fourth Day: Beef over Rice. Heat leftover beef and gravy and serve over cooked rice.
- 6. Fifth Day: Meat Pie. Place leftover meat chunks, gravy, peas and carrots in pie plate. Top with you favorite pie crust or biscuits. Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden. Yield: 14 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC