- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons lemon-lime soda, chilled
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add shortening; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add soda until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- For two single crust pies, on a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Repeat with remaining pastry. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- For a double crust pie, divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Add filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: 2 pastry shells.
Originally published as Basic Pie Pastry in Simple & Delicious October/November 2010, p53
Reviews for Basic Pie Pastry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review