Basic Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites. Add milk and bread; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a loaf in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes; drain.
- 3. Spoon ketchup over loaf. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving equals 228 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Basic Meat Loaf
"Great recipe. Good nutritional value. Didn't change anything about the recipe but did use extra lean beef. Will definitely make again."
"Made it for my family. It was super easy to make, and tasted great! I even substituted the beef for ground turkey, it still turned out delicious."
"good recipe. good flavor and easy ingredients."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.