- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
"Tried this recipe today. super easy and my loaves came out really well..lovely super soft texture..Thanks a bunch for the recipe !!"
"This recipe was so easy and my family loved it. I have a question about making mini loaves. What would be the cook time?"
"My go-to recipe for basic white bread. Easy and turns out well every time. For a soft crust, brush with a little butter when you take it out of the oven."
"Thanks a lot for the easy to follow recipe and videos. I'm a beginner bread maker and your video's really help me. Thanks again from NZ"
"I double this recipe and bake 4 loaves at a time because my family & I love this bread so much! It is a delicious recipe! Garlic cheese toast, open pb & j sandwiches, and good Ole buttered toast are just a few of our favorite ways to eat it! My daughter just eats it plain and untoasted she likes it so much!"
"Easy & simple recipe to follow. Delicious every time!!"
"Currently enjoying this toasted with jam and a nice cup of coffee. Great recipe! I found the sugar unnecessary so eliminated that and it tastes just as good. Also decided to just wing it on the flour-- add it until the dough was ready, no more no less, and that worked better than the first batch.I've never baked bread before and this was the perfect beginner's recipe! So excited to try new twists on it as well."
"Great bread, easy recipe, and it rose really well with a crusty outside and fluffy inside. I made a loaf and some buns for burgers with the dough and they were perfect. I read a couple reviews about the flour total being wrong, the recipe does ask for 6 -63/4 cups in total and I added that much and it was fine. It asks for three cups first and then additional flour after as much as needed. Followed the recipe as is and it turned out as I would have hoped. I will make this again and pass it on."
"Followed the recipe as it is works fine tnx"
"Why does the ingredient list say 6 cups of flour, but they only tell you to put 3 into the dough, (plus some extra). I put in a little extra to make the dough not stick, but that was no where near 6 cups total! I hope I'm not making this bread all wrong!! Please fix the directions!"