- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
Sort By :
"Great bread... I just substitute 1 cup of water for 1 cup of milk, and stuffed one with shered mozzarella and the other with cherries.. Yummy yummy.. Thanks for this great recipe"
"So good! And easy. I ground up a cup's worth of steel cut oats and flaxseed in a coffee grinder and added it in place of another cup of flour (trying to eat healthier). It turned out great and nice texture. This bread rose much better than another recipe I used and looks beautiful."
"Delicious! I used a heating pad to help the bread rise."
"Best bread i have ever made. Tastes amazing!! My family loves it. So simple to make and very little ingredients."
"This is way easy to make! I LOVE IT!"