- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
"Easy!Mine is rising the first time right now. Thinking about making it into cinnamon rolls.To the person (lucylinecm) questioning the recipe, it takes about 6 1/2 cups of flour.Update....it was horrible. Didn't rise, maybe the yeast."
"this bread is the most consistently fantastic bread i have ever made-and i make a lot of bread, i love the attention i get for this wonderful bread! I don't deserve the fuss really because it is dead easy to make ha ha :)"
"Loved it! I've never made bread before and this was so much easier than I thought it would be. Great by itself or for sandwiches."
"I made this bread today and followed the recipe pretty close including the rising times, except for a couple ingredients. I changed out 1 1/2 cups of the flour for whole wheat flour and used instant dry yeast 2 1/4 tsp (= 1 pkg yeast) plus I added a little more yeast (about 1/2 tsp) because of the whole wheat flour. I also sifted all the flour after measuring. It raised beautifully and turned out very good. It's going to be my go to recipe for bread. Enjoying every slice!"
"Tried this recipe today. super easy and my loaves came out really well..lovely super soft texture..Thanks a bunch for the recipe !!"
"This recipe was so easy and my family loved it. I have a question about making mini loaves. What would be the cook time?"
"My go-to recipe for basic white bread. Easy and turns out well every time. For a soft crust, brush with a little butter when you take it out of the oven."
"Thanks a lot for the easy to follow recipe and videos. I'm a beginner bread maker and your video's really help me. Thanks again from NZ"
"I double this recipe and bake 4 loaves at a time because my family & I love this bread so much! It is a delicious recipe! Garlic cheese toast, open pb & j sandwiches, and good Ole buttered toast are just a few of our favorite ways to eat it! My daughter just eats it plain and untoasted she likes it so much!"
"Easy & simple recipe to follow. Delicious every time!!"