- 2-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk 7-1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture, adding additional flour if necessary. Divide dough into four 2-cup portions. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
- Basic Cookie Dough may be used to prepare the following recipes: Crumb-Topped Date Bars, Cherry Surprise Cookies, Chocolate Mallow Cookies or Jelly Sandwich Cookies. Yield: 8 cups.
Reviews for Basic Cookie Dough
"This is the best sugar cookie dough base I have ever used! With a few tweaks, it can be used to make a variety of different cookies! Great!"
"I love this dough! It is easy to make, the cookies come out soft, and they're not super sugary. I hate "traditional" sugar cookies that are sugary to begin with, then you add frosting on top of that and it's just too much sugar. The best part about these cookies is that they hold their shape. They don't spread and they don't balloon. They are ideal for decorating!"
"First of all this sites rating system of stars is dumb, not even sure what I selected. Second this will not be the best cookie dough ever (without chocolate chips it is a little lacking in taste) but it's not kill your grandmother bad. It makes a ton of cookies (seriously I had to use a huge bowl to follow the recipe mostly) but is light and fluffy and overall wasn't bad with some chocolate chips"
"It tasted terrible they had no flavor and were disgusting this should definitely not be online it made me throw up thanks a lot you made my grandma die!!!NO ONE TRY THEM it also gave me explosive diarrhea I rate this -10000000000000000000000000000"
"We recently retested this recipe and had no problems with the flour / liquid ratio. Try weighing your flour instead of measuring.8 cups flour = 1000g or 35.2 oz or 2.2 lbsSue StetzelOnline Community Manager/ Taste of Home Magazine"