Basic Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Combine the milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well.
- 2. Pour into greased tube pan without removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 429 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Basic Chocolate Pound Cake
"This is an excellent pound cake. I love to serve it with scoops of vanilla ice cream. It's definitely a recipe that I go back to time and time again."
"I'm a die hard chocoholic, I always gotta have some or anything with chocolate in it. I told my family and in laws that I would not be able to work in a candy factory. why you might ask? Think about that episode of I Love Lucy where she and Ethel got jobs working in one and when the conveyor belt sped up, they couldn't get the chocolates wrapped fast enough. They ended up eating some or trying to hide some in their uniforms lol."
"A wonderful cake, easy to make , very yummy."
"This is sooo delish!! I didn't have any lard so used about a 1/4 c. Canola oil. I also baked it in two bread loaf pans. I baked it about 45 min. It had a really good flavor, this is a keeper!"