Basic Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
This is one of my favorite cakes to bake. A friend of mine gave me this recipe years ago. Somehow it just gets better each time you bake it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Combine the milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well.
- 2. Pour into greased tube pan without removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 429 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC