This is one of my favorite cakes to bake. A friend of mine gave me this recipe years ago. Somehow it just gets better each time you bake it!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Combine the milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into greased tube pan without removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Pound Cake in Country Extra March 1991, p49
Reviews for Basic Chocolate Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review