Basic Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
This recipe evolved from several different recipes that I combined into one. I've never received so many compliments on my baking!—Denise Hufford, Midland, Michigan
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half; add cocoa to one portion. Divide each portion in half. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between waxed paper into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Remove waxed paper. Place one chocolate rectangle over a plain rectangle. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- 4. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 153 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC