Basic Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
My mother used to make a simple peanut better frosting for this cake when taking it to church suppers or family picnics. My husband's favorite way to eat it is warm from the oven with a glass of milk.Wanita Ann Aldrich, Hinsdale, New York
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the water,
- mayonnaise and vanilla; beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, sprinkle with
- confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.