- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, thyme and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan and herb seasoning. Dip chicken in milk; roll in flour. Dip in egg; coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter over medium heat until golden brown and a meat thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve over spaghetti; top with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Parmigiana in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2010, p178
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Basic Chicken Parmigiana
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review