- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch of brownies):
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR CARAMEL-NUT BROWNIES:
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- FOR CHERRY BROWNIES:
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa and salt. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (about 10 cups total).
- To prepare basic brownies: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups brownie mix, butter, eggs, water and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
- To prepare caramel-nut brownies: Prepare basic brownie batter. Pour half into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans. Top with remaining batter and pecans. Bake and cool as directed. Yield: 9 servings.
- To prepare cherry brownies: In a small saucepan, bring the cherries and water to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Prepare basic brownie batter; stir in cherries. Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake and cool as directed. Frost if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forBasic Brownie Mix
"This recipe makes the greasiest brownies I have ever tasted. Just disgusting. There must be a misprint in the recipe. Perhaps it should read a half cup of melted butter instead of 1/2 cup of butter, melted. Those are two different quantities! What a waste of time to make the mix!"
"Simple, easy, delicious! Basic recipe that can easily be adapted to suit your mood! A keeper! A++! :)"