Basic Beef Starter Recipe
Amie Wollgast prepares a savory combination of ground beef, onions and garlic, then stores it in her freezer. "This mixture has saved me many hours in the kitchen," says the Florissant, Missouri cook. It gives a head start on the two easy entrees that follow.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Cool.
- 2. Place about 2-3/4 cups each in four freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 4 portions (11-1/2 cups).
1 serving equals 267 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC