In New Oxford, Pennsylvania, Emma Nye relies on her mother's pot roast recipe when company is coming. But when she merely wants to enjoy the savory sensation with her husband, she can turn to this downsized version.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (1 pound and 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Combine salt and pepper; rub over steak. In a Dutch oven, brown steak in oil on both sides. Add the water, tomato sauce, onion and garlic. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over the meat. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as BASED ON: Barbecued Pot Roast in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p39
Reviews for BASED ON: Barbecued Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2010
"Tender and delicious!"